- Responsible for implementing food safety, quality, and regulatory practices and procedures within their area of authority to meet regulatory requirements and food quality and safety standards.
- Change programs/parameters in chocolate tempering machines, depositors, enrobers and various machines related to processing and packaging food.
- Assemble pipes, pumps and kettle parts to be used for cooking/mixing candy recipes and other equipment related to the depositing, coating and forming of various candy products, often using common hand tools.
- Follow recipes to weigh ingredients, use equipment to mix and cook, and use instruments to measure temperature, viscosity and brix.
- Use PPE for various tasks related to cooking and operating equipment.
- Comply with good manufacturing practices and using standard operating procedures when processing, depositing, extruding and enrobing various candy products according to the production schedule to meet customer demand.
- Inspecting food materials prior to and during use to prevent introduction of foreign materials and prevent food safety risks and substandard quality products made or packaged in our facilities.
- Training new permanent and temporary employees.
- Training for safe practices in accordance with all company guidelines/policies related to personal safety, food safety, quality and efficiency.
- Giving direction to new permanent employees and temporary employees to perform tasks according to their supervisor’s direction.
- Correct nonconforming performance to prevent immediate personal and food safety risks.
- Alert supervisors or management of nonconforming behavior/activities that violate company guidelines/policies.
- Planning and prioritizing work activities for efficiency, quality and safe execution of the schedule production and all other assigned work.
- Promote an atmosphere that builds the team by continuously improving job skills and giving people positive feedback.
- Collaborate with internal, (and occasionally external), customers and vendors for effective completion of scheduled and unscheduled production. This includes but is not limited to other cooks/machine operators, management, maintenance personnel, supervisors, QA, Inventory control, temp agency representatives and warehouse/shipping personnel.
- Communicate with other team members in a professional and pleasant manner.
- Completing all required paperwork.
- Work all line worker positions as needed when not cooking or operating machines or when help is needed on the lines due to a lack of staffing or surges in production volume.
- Use rework as soon as possible and in accordance with company guidelines and policies.
- Enter all necessary production data into the computer system.
- Use electric pallet movers, hand operated pallet jacks, barrel moving equipment and forklifts. (After appropriate company training and certification)
- Ensure that all food containers are tagged correctly with Description, LOT, Item Number and quantity.
- Keep all utensils, containers and other food contact surfaces clean and sanitary.
- Preventing cross contamination between allergens and between food contact and non-food contact surfaces.
- Other duties as assigned by supervision and/or management, including but not limited to, cleaning, operating power equipment, taking inventory, various inspections and attending meetings and training events.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education: Minimum of high school diploma or GED or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be 18 yrs or older.
- Familiarity with HACCP, GMPs, SQF as part of GFSI, Allergens and Personal Protective Equipment after being trained.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions and training materials, recipes and bills of material in English.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence in English.
- Ability to convey complex ideas and detailed information in written and verbal forms so that others can understand in English.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete situations where only limited standardization exists. May need help with interpreting a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to achieve answers that make sense.
- Ability to listen to and understand oral and written information.
- Ability to recognize problems with people, processes, situations and circumstances in a production line setting and offer and apply reasonable solutions.
- Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events or circumstances.
- Must be able to effectively use label creating and printing software as well as scan and key data into our inventory management software after being trained on the software programs being used by our company.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certification by our company to operate electric pallet moving equipment and scissor lifts.
Employee will need to be able to interact with people who have a wide range of skill sets and personalities. Employee must be able to work as part of a team, helping other team members succeed to achieve company goals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, this employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls and talk and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee is occasionally required to sit, crawl, climb or balance, taste and smell.
- The employee will frequently lift up to 25 pounds from the bottom of a 55 gallon drum and dump into hoppers up to 5.5 ft. tall. May occasionally lift or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.